Five Things You Did Not Know About Human Trafficking
- Modern slavery exists in the 21st century, even in the United States.
- Human trafficking does not require movement or the crossing of borders.
- Anyone can be a victim of human trafficking.
- The illegal profits made from the use of forced labor in the private economy worldwide amount to $150.2 billion per year, according to the International Labor Organization.
- The food you eat, the products you buy, and the consumer items you use on a daily basis may have been produced by victims of forced labor. Become a conscientious consumer by visiting Slavery Footprint to determine “How many slaves work for you?”
(Source: go.usa.gov, via upworthy)